League of Women Voters Johnson County, IN (LWVJC) expects to be recognized as a local League by the League of Women Voters of the United States (LWVUS) in June 2022.
The LWV is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The League's mission is to empower voters and defend democracy; therefore, it is committed to equity for all voters and the recognition that democracy is strengthened by the inclusion of diverse voices in the community.
Why join the LWV?
• Identify community issues. Meet and problem solve with diverse individuals who are committed to Democracy and have unique experiences and knowledge.
• Increase personal knowledge and share information about legislators, legislation and advocacy.
• Expand personal leadership skills.
• Make new friends and have fun.
View a brief introduction to the LWV and the proposed Johnson County League (4:54)
Bylaws - Adopted Feb 2022
Nonpartisan Policy - Adopted January 2022
LWV of Johnson County does not support or oppose any political party or candidate
DEI Policy - Adopted January 2022
LWV of Johnson County is an organization fully committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in principle and in practice.
What the League has accomplished: Advocacy Topics:
(links to a few of several hundred actions)
Statements and press releases
The nonpartisan election website drew more than six million users looking for election information to the site in 2020.
2021 Nonprofit Communications Campaign of the Year for VOTE411.org.
2022/01 LWVIN Agenda: Voting Rights, Redistricting, Education
2022 /02 Redistricting
Responsible voter list maintenance is necessary and appropriate, largescale voter purges without safeguards can result in wrongful disenfranchisement.
What Guides our Advocacy & Action?
• Impact On Issues 2020-2022 | League of Women Voters (lwv.org) inspires League members to use LWVUS public policy positions at community and state levels.
LWVIN Position Statements